Where Customization Begins 

• Skip Metro Suite

#23492  by Angel
 02 Sep 2012, 14:42
Skip Metro Suite for Windows 8 allows you to boot directly to Classic Desktop in Windows 8 RTM and Release Preview.Also it allows you completely disable all edge panels, not just hide them! All of them will be disabled, including square start button at bottom-left corner.

Skip Metro Suite features:

Skip Start Screen feature.
Switcher can be disabled.
Charms Bar Hint can be disabled.
Can completely REMOVE edge panels, including Charms Bar,Switcher and square start button at bottom-left edge of Desktop.

Skip Metro Suite change log

v2.1.1

Attempt to fix multimonitor configuration issue.
Attempt to fix autologon issue.
Fixed drag-to-close issue.

v2.1
Now you are able to disable the individual edge ui corners.

v2.0

Fixed broken Windows 8 x86 support
Fixed annoying bug: application starts twice when you have many active users at one PC.
Apllications was rewritten for better code and optimized for performance

v1.2.1.1
Fixed critical bug which prevented application from start on some PCs.
v1.2.1
Fixed "lock workstation" issue. It minimizes Metro twice after log on.
v1.2.0.1
Fixed settings file access issue.
v1.2

Edge UI panels disappear much more faster (startup folder is not used anymore).
You will able to close Metro apps with mouse drag - this part of Edge UI now will be kept.
Multi-user environment improvements.
Better installer behavior for "update" mode.

v1.1.1

Fixed double switching from Metro to Desktop.
Switching speed is improved.
Installer makes updates properly

v1.1.0
Version 1.1 allows you to kill all EdgeUI panels like Switcher and Charms Bar, not just hide them.
v1.0.1
.NET Framework 3.5 is not required anymore. NSIS based installer instead of MSI bloatware.
v1.0
Initial release.

It includes updated code base what switches to classic Desktop even more faster. Also some minor bugs was fixed.

Why it is "Suite" and what is inside the suite

Skip Metro Suite is a set of tools:

GUI manager
Windows Service
Windows Application
Installer/Uninstaller
Cute icon prepared for me by my friend PainteR

Skip Metro Suite in action

Download: Skip Metro Suite
Scroll to bottom of the page.
Code: Select allhttp://winaero.com/comment.php?comment.news.103

Remember to use Classic Shell to add the start button and other features.
 #23563  by Animeware
 21 Sep 2012, 03:37
windows 8 crappppyyyyyy
 #23565  by chevy350
 21 Sep 2012, 06:36
Actually the Consumer Preview could be decent, I was able to try it again since some drivers have been released for Win8 and got my system stable for the 4 days I ran it. Didn't make of a difference in gaming benchmarks but my SSD's and HDD's all picked up some speed. Nothing noticable in real world but got some major bumps in drive benches and the memory management is a bit better compared to Win7. My ROG x64 system uses about 2Gb on average while Win8 x64 was using just over 1.34Gb and even seemed a tad faster. Biggest issue was getting used to going to corners to do normal stuff like find my storage drives and rebooting but we all had to get used to a few different things when coming over to Win7 from XP as well. Maybe once it gets out on Oct. 25th I'll give it another go but until I see a reason to change it's back to ROG :)
 #23569  by Animeware
 21 Sep 2012, 12:16
chevy350 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:36 pm wrote:Actually the Consumer Preview could be decent, I was able to try it again since some drivers have been released for Win8 and got my system stable for the 4 days I ran it. Didn't make of a difference in gaming benchmarks but my SSD's and HDD's all picked up some speed. Nothing noticable in real world but got some major bumps in drive benches and the memory management is a bit better compared to Win7. My ROG x64 system uses about 2Gb on average while Win8 x64 was using just over 1.34Gb and even seemed a tad faster. Biggest issue was getting used to going to corners to do normal stuff like find my storage drives and rebooting but we all had to get used to a few different things when coming over to Win7 from XP as well. Maybe once it gets out on Oct. 25th I'll give it another go but until I see a reason to change it's back to ROG :)

That's really neat Chevy If you like it that's really cool..

This is just my option I still disappointment in all of it I guess we will wait and see how it sells?

To be honest I think it's good for Tablets not for Desktops.... There is a lot of people who do not own Touch Screen Version Desktop they would prefer tablet then desktop touchscreen.

I've used Windows 8 in VMWARE and Microsoft said it was post to be easier to use then Windows 7 no it's not Windows 8 so much harder to find what you post to do in it and the Metro UI bothers the heck out of me.....