Where Customization Begins 

• Shutting Down Windows 8

#25523  by Neuropass
 05 Feb 2013, 04:44
Now that the Start Orb has been consigned to history is Windows 8 many people are finding it difficult to shutdown their PC.

There are various methods to achieve this

1-Ctrl – Alt- Del the the power button in the lower right hand corner
2-From the desktop Alt – F4 (If you not already at the desktop then Win+D will get you there)

3-Win+I then up arrow followed by enter

#25526  by TheAslan
 05 Feb 2013, 04:49
How about Context Menu method?

Code: Select allWindows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shell\Shutdown]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shell\Shutdown\command]
@="C:\\Windows\\System32\\shutdown.exe -s -t 0"

Or like this:

Now, should you want to pin it to taskbar, right-click the new shortcut and pin it to taskbar, based on your preference. Afterwards, next time whenever you want to turn off your PC, just click the shortcut, and the shutdown process will immediately begin. Alternatively, if you want these shortcuts on your Start Screen, then simply right click on the shortcut and click on Pin to Start.

#25528  by Angel
 05 Feb 2013, 13:39
I think creating shortcuts is the easiest way to shutdown Windows 8. Especially for those who don't use a Start Menu replacement.
 #25548  by Neuropass
 06 Feb 2013, 00:40
Giin70 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:24 pm wrote:I have a quicker way, dont use it.

lmao :spruzz:
 #25549  by Giin70
 06 Feb 2013, 03:10
Sorry lol.. i do agree with BigB, the shortcut method is really quick and simple

I have always been a fan of Alt+F4 though too
 #25565  by 351837
 07 Feb 2013, 12:50
I like context menu more. This is what i use.

Just not yet figured out last command. :thinking:

Spoiler: show
Code: Select allWindows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\DesktopBackground\Shell\Power]
"MUIVerb"="Power"
"SubCommands"="ShutDown;Restart;SignOut;Sleep;Send to History"
"icon"="powercpl.dll,-1"
"Position"="bottom"

; Sign out
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CommandStore\shell\SignOut]
@="Sign out"
"icon"="shell32.dll,-45"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CommandStore\shell\SignOut\command]
@="shutdown.exe -L"

; Shut down
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CommandStore\shell\ShutDown]
@="Shut down"
"icon"="shell32.dll,-221"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CommandStore\shell\ShutDown\command]
@="shutdown.exe -s -f -t 00"

; Restart
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CommandStore\shell\Restart]
@="Restart"
"icon"="shell32.dll,-28"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CommandStore\shell\Restart\command]
@="shutdown.exe -r -f -t 00"

; Sleep
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CommandStore\shell\sleep]
@="Sleep"
"icon"="powercpl.dll,-514"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CommandStore\shell\sleep\command]
@="rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState Sleep"

; Send to History
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CommandStore\shell\Send to History]
@="Send to History"
"icon"="C:\\DWM\\presence_offline.ico"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\CommandStore\shell\Send to History\command]
@=