Where Customization Begins 

• If you have eBay or PayPal, close now while you can

• The boiler room is where any disputes go down! Got something to bitch about? Do it here.
The boiler room is where any disputes go down! Got something to bitch about? Do it here.
 #16568  by shadow257
 10 May 2011, 12:09
So I am not going to post the whole thing here because it would take forever to read, lol. So I will give a summary and final decision instead.

So I had an HTC Droid Eris, that I rooted, in good condition and working that I sold on eBay. I decided to make it an international listing (mistake on my part). And it sold internationally for 78.00 USD with shipping included. A steal if you ask me, it was listed that I was going to ship priority from USPS. I was informed that tracking was only avliable for Express which is $90 USD for just shipping. But the custom forms number that I had to fill out would act as a tracking agent so I just went with that. I was also told that insurace would be about an extra $25 USD if I wanted that. I opted out, because I would be losing too much money if I did. So I got the tracking number, shipped the item and I thought that would be the end of it.

Well about two weeks later I get an email from eBay saying that a buyer listed an item in resolution center, curiously I read over everything and that's when all this bs started. So to make a really long thing short, the buyer claims that I never shipped the item after he paid me for it. I updated everything with the reciept from the post office and the correct customs tracking number so that both him and eBay could see that I did in fact ship the item. After a few more weeks I got a response from eBay saying that they are going to side with the buyer because my tracking is no sufficient enough to prove that he got the package, not that I didn't send it, just he didn't get it.

Here is there final assesment:
Thank you for contacting eBay in regard to the HTC Droid (item # 220754134937) that you recently sold. After reviewing your email, I understand that your item is still in shipment but that we closed the case in the buyers favor. I see that the item has been in transit for over 30 days. This is definitely a difficult position to be in.

I understand you have shipped this item to your customer, but at this time the tracking does not show the item was delivered. As a reminder, sellers are responsible for ensuring that the items they sell on eBay arrive to their customers. Because we cannot verify the item has been received by your customer, I regret to inform you that we are not able to grant your appeal at this time. Our automated system will generate a standard email to you but I wanted to take a few moments and explain it in further detail.

I hope you can understand that it would be unfair for us to overturn our decision without first verifying that your customer has in fact received the item. It is very possible that the item was held up at the post office or was lost in shipping, which would explain why the tracking information has not shown any recent movement. While I realize that this was through no direct fault of your own, shipping is your responsibility as a seller.

To protect yourself from this type of thing in the future, I would suggest purchasing shipping insurance. That way you can file a claim with the carrier used if the package is lost or damaged in transit. The reason I mention this is because shipping upgrades such as tracking information and insurance are your protection as a seller in these situations. These will obviously cost a little extra when shipping an item, so it is something that you will want to weigh as a business. If you're selling $20 items, it may not be profitable to purchase tracking and insurance every time. If you go this route, know that if situations like this arise you may encounter loss. On the other hand, if you're selling $300 items, it may be a good idea to always get tracking and insurance.

Tony, I can see that you have been with eBay for some time now and that you have been able to maintain a positive feedback score of 100%! This is quite the accomplishment and something that you should be very proud of. Its great people like you that buy and sell that make eBay such a great place. We truly value you as an important part of the eBay community and wish you the best with your future transactions.

Sincerely,

Jeff B.

eBay Customer Support
 #16570  by Neuropass
 10 May 2011, 14:18
WTF? you should still have insurance on it. which covers 100 dollars maximum. I have that when I send packs oversee. I don't pay anything extra for it. Anyway The situation is ridiculous and ebay should not take any part, specially if you have 100 positive feedback. again if the shipment is still in transit then it's not your fault. The only thing you can do is to open an investigation with the post office. You can inquire about that. They will get to the source of the problem. It happened with me once when I sent a big pack to Italy. It took over two months to get there. I thought it was lost but it wasn't. It was just damn delayed because they used a freaking cargo boat to send it!
 #16571  by shadow257
 10 May 2011, 14:30
A cargo boat o.0, they couldn't just fly it over there lol. Yea well they told me that I couldn't insure it unless it was sent on express, I was like wtf? So unless I pay almost $100 then I can't get tracking or insurance because its an international package. Yea, I am going to have to see if I can, USPS is being difficult so they might just give me another excuse. All I really need is the tracking number to report it was delivered abroad. As long as it says that eBay wont pursue it and call everything even. But, if it doesn't say that or that it was delivered to customs then I am stuck because of eBay's rules and regulations with their stupid buyer protection.

When I talked to claims I told them the same thing, why is it my fault that the post office and customs are having an issue. Its not like I can just walk over an ocean and find out what's going on or anything. The whole thing is ridiculous and unfair in my opinion. It's probably going to end with me paying them the money since my account is suspended now. And once I do I will NEVER use eBay or PayPal ever again. Its a shame really since I had another listing that was more than that one and I shipped it and the buyer got it with no issues and was extremely happy with there purchase. So why would I ship that one but not the cheaper one? (The other one was a US shipment tho.)
 #16572  by Angel
 10 May 2011, 14:34
Sadly it is up to the seller to provide proof. All the buyer has to say is that the item never arrived or keep the item and send something else, entirely different, back to the seller.

The one time I sold something on ebay the buyer insisted on paying by cash upon delivery even though it stated paypal and pickup only. Ebay didn't want to know and just insisted I relist the item. I took the risky option of letting the buyer come to my home address. I only lost out on the listing and commission fees.
 #16577  by shadow257
 10 May 2011, 20:39
Well, even if you had followed eBay's original advice I am sure that the buyer would have had some policy somewhere that would let eBay refund them and you have to pay something lol. If this whole shipping thing is such a problem idk why they don't just manage all the shipping too. Then if they refunded them at least eBay could get some money from the shipping company. It's not hard to do, I have dealt with other companies that are smaller than eBay that manage shipping and haven't had any issues. eBay is just a broken system now, just like PayPal is and if they want to treat each seller as a retail store. Then my policy as a store should be, receipt and item that is defective and I will issue a refund.

But, they don't want to hear that, just oh you are responsible because you are a seller and if we decide that you need to give us money then you have to. Even if you follow the rules and have tracking, if your tracking isn't good enough then we penalize you for this. But we wont tell you this until after the fact.

~face palm~
 #16580  by Giin70
 10 May 2011, 21:43
Not picking sides or no offense. Ebay is a 3rd party mediator. They have to say the seller is at fault if the customer didnt get it. 1st rule of thumb, never do international unless your certain you can cover it.

Lesson learned, move along *these arent the droids you are looking for* Waves jedi hand
 #16581  by Neuropass
 10 May 2011, 22:08
Giin70 wrote:
Lesson learned, move along *these arent the droids you are looking for* Waves jedi hand

you mean this one?

Click

Giin70 wrote:Not picking sides or no offense. Ebay is a 3rd party mediator. They have to say the seller is at fault if the customer didnt get it

true as well but why did they have to lock his account? considering the facts, it was clear that it wasn't shadows' fault.
 #16582  by Giin70
 10 May 2011, 22:34
Come on now, locking the account is most likely a temporary issue to prevent something further happening. Not saying shadow would, im just saying they really dont have a choice. its to cover their @$$. There are some crazy mofo's that will run wild if they dont take steps like that.

Im sure the issue will be worked out, i know it sucks. Just keep digging bud.
 #16585  by shadow257
 11 May 2011, 00:37
Giin70 wrote:Come on now, locking the account is most likely a temporary issue to prevent something further happening. Not saying shadow would, im just saying they really dont have a choice. its to cover their @$$. There are some crazy mofo's that will run wild if they dont take steps like that.

Im sure the issue will be worked out, i know it sucks. Just keep digging bud.

They locked my account because of the fact that I owe them the $78.00, but I told them that I wasn't going to pay it until I got the final decision because if I did I am for the most part agreeing that it was my fault. They had a choice, a choice of me saying no, do not refund him. But they choose to say yes, if you are a seller, like I said it should be eBay tells you what shipping to use and do the shipping cost into the listing (Since we have to pay a listing fee anyway). If they want a part in making a decision like that, then they need to accept the fact that they need to be more involved. If I had no tracking at all, or no receipt I would understand there decision and go ahead and be okay with the decision to refund him. But the fact that even with tracking and a receipt I still get the shaft, is unreal.

But, you are right, lesson learned. Don't use eBay and defiantly not PayPal (A whole nother story). I hope that at some point someone sues eBay and they go bankrupt or hacked because they need to keep there business out of my business imo.
 #17626  by hellboy2325
 30 Jun 2011, 07:36
I guess the problem is if you don't get delivery which requires the receiver to sign for it you are susceptible to some scammers but that can be avoided for the most part if you only post to people who have good feedback and use a potal service that allows tracking and signing for packages.

I have sold multiple items for £500+ but have never had this problem mostly because I choose my buyers carefully.