Where Customization Begins 

• Capture your Wim image (Busters way)

• Windows® Automated Installation Kit (WAIK), Windows System Image Manager (WSIM), Win PE and Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit (ADK) Tutorials are right here.
Windows® Automated Installation Kit (WAIK), Windows System Image Manager (WSIM), Win PE and Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit (ADK) Tutorials are right here.
 #14920  by Buster67
 23 Mar 2011, 00:24
WARNING

Doing it this way seems to knock off your activation make sure that you Re Activate your main OS

Ok guys,

I have started to customize my OS’s by capturing the Install.wim. The method that i will explain to you is the easiest method that i have been able to work out. With this method you can install applications, drivers , applying registry tweaks and also apply your custom dll’s. The advantage of doing your OS my way will also cut your installation time down considerably.

First of all you require the following items:

1. WAIK for Windows 7

2. Windows 7 Installation DVD

3. A spare partition to install your OS.

Before you begin you should make sure that you have all that you need for your custom OS, make sure that you have windows 7 AIK (WAIK) installed on your main PC.

Start installing your OS on your spare partition when you get to the part enter your name i want you to hold Ctrl Shift and F3 this will log you in audit mode.

(when you view your desktop for the first time you will have Sysprep on it . Do not close this application or you will have to install your OS again.)

Also do not select any network location this can be shut down.

Now you can install all of your applications, drivers and apply your custom dll’s while you are in audit mode you can also download and install M$ updates.
When you have finished and your OS is how you want it we have to use the sysprep tool.

1. In the System Cleanup Action list, select Enter System Out-of-Box Experience (OOBE).

2. Select the Generalize check box.

3. In the Shutdown Options list, select Shutdown.

4. Click OK to run Sysprep and shut down the computer.

Sysprep will run and clean up your image.

Now we want to start our main PC as we are now going to caputre our image.

1. Click Start, point to All Programs, and then click Microsoft Windows AIK.

2. Right-click Deployment Tools Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator.

Now we want to use these codes.

This will make a directory on your C drive where your captured install.wim will be.

Code: Select allmd \captured

Now to capture your image

Code: Select allimagex /compress maximum /flags Ultimate /capture D:\ \captured\install.wim "Windows 7 ULTIMATE" "Windows 7 ULTIMATE" /check

“D” being the partition i installed my custom OS on.

This takes me about 40 mins to complete but times will vary depending how big you image will be and how powerfull you PC is.

Now that we have our new install.wim place it inside your Sources folder of your custom DVD and try it in Vmware..

WARNING

Doing it this way seems to knock off your activation make sure that you Re Activate your main OS

#14921  by Shaneee
 23 Mar 2011, 00:26
Nice tut. Will have to try this out soon :mon:
 #14929  by nrvl
 23 Mar 2011, 01:31
Buster first Question mate. What if the installed software asks me to reboot the sys?? well u said we shouldnt do any thing like re boot at audit mode.. ??
second question is do we need to do any thing with .clg files ?? or just leave as it is ?? does that require modding also from WSIM ?
 #14930  by Buster67
 23 Mar 2011, 01:38
If the installed software asks you to reboot it should be ok but if you come to this screen again

Simply press Ctrl shift & F3 and you will be back in audit mode.

and to your second question there is no need to edit the .clg files.
 #15024  by Neuropass
 25 Mar 2011, 01:23
8.15 min :ha: