Where Customization Begins 

• Capture image from vmware hdd.

• Windows® Automated Installation Kit (WAIK), Windows System Image Manager (WSIM), Win PE and Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit (ADK) Tutorials are right here.
Windows® Automated Installation Kit (WAIK), Windows System Image Manager (WSIM), Win PE and Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit (ADK) Tutorials are right here.
 #14964  by Buster67
 23 Mar 2011, 19:50
This will only work on windows 7 because you can Attach a vhd file which i will cover later.

This tutorial will show you how we can capture you image with vmware and a couple of other tools.

Tools needed

1. VM Workstion V7
2. Windows AIK (WAIK)
3. Installation DVD
4. VmdkConvert

Here is the link to VmdkConvert

We will start off by starting VM ware and installing our windows 7 OS we want to capture.

When you get to the part where it wants you to enter your name i want you to hold Ctrl Shift and F3 this will log you in audit mode.

(when you view your desktop for the first time you will have Sysprep on it . Do not close this application or you will have to install your OS again.)

Also do not select any network location this can be shut down.

Now you can install all of your applications, drivers and apply your custom dll’s while you are in audit mode you can also download and install M$ updates.

When you have finished and your OS is how you want it we have to use the sysprep tool.
1. In the System Cleanup Action list, select Enter System Out-of-Box Experience (OOBE).

2. Select the Generalize check box.

3. In the Shutdown Options list, select Shutdown.

4.Click OK to run Sysprep and shut down the computer.

Sysprep will run and clean up your image.

Now that you have your OS how you want it in VM ware we need to convert the Vmdk image to Vhd.

Open up VmdkConvert and run as administartor. You now have to select your Vmdk image that you want to convert.

Now that you have converted your Vmdk image to Vhd we now need to Attach the Vhd.

Open up your Run command and type

Code: Select alldiskmgmt.msc

now that we have Disk Management open select Action /Attach Vhd

here you need to browse where your converted Vhd image is located.

When you have Attached to Vhd make a note of the drive letter it is assigned .

Now we are going to capture our new image .

1. Click Start, point to All Programs, and then click Microsoft Windows AIK.

2. Right-click Deployment Tools Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator.

Now we want to use these codes.

This will make a directory on your C drive where your captured install.wim will be.

Code: Select allmd \captured

Now to capture your image

Code: Select allimagex /compress maximum /flags Ultimate /capture G:\ \captured\install.wim "Windows 7 ULTIMATE" "Windows 7 ULTIMATE" /check

“G” being the Attached Vhd i installed my custom OS on.

This takes me about 40 mins to complete but times will vary depending how big you image will be and how powerfull you PC is.

Now that we have our new install.wim place it inside your Sources folder of your custom DVD and try it in Vmware..
 #14966  by shadow257
 23 Mar 2011, 19:56
Ah, I knew that there had to be a way to do this from VMWare, thanks for the tutorial, have to tried a converted image on a physical partition instead of installing it back to VMWare?
 #14975  by Shaneee
 23 Mar 2011, 20:59
Thanks for looking into this. Bookmarked it ;)
 #15025  by nrvl
 25 Mar 2011, 01:35
awesome thanks mate. i was like 80% with this. later I had the doubt of VHD and left it.. thanks u made it 100% thnks..
 #16434  by Shaneee
 03 May 2011, 17:31
Buster67 wrote:This takes me about 40 mins to complete

15 Mins lol :mon:
 #16441  by nrvl
 04 May 2011, 08:14
IiTz ShAnE™ wrote:
Buster67 wrote:This takes me about 40 mins to complete

15 Mins lol :mon:

9 mins here mate.. :ha: