Where Customization Begins 

• Start "Button" returning in Windows 8.1 and more

• All the gossip about Windows 8
All the gossip about Windows 8
 #26686  by TheAslan
 14 May 2013, 00:58
Rumours surrounding the release of Windows 8.1 are flying thick and fast - the most recent of which suggests the Start Button will be returning alongside an updated Charms Bar.

Set for a public preview in June, Windows 8.1 has just got another set of rumoured features, this time suggesting the update will resurrect the Start button and generally make many of the Metro features easier to use for desktop users.

ZDNet's Mary Jo Foley has reportedly been tipped off by insiders that Microsoft has numerous interface adjustments in the works, most notably of which are the addition of an optional Start button and an updated Charms Bar with a focus on desktop ease of use. Following the trend of increasing usability for desktop users, the Start screen will also reportedly be getting a facelift. Notably, these features may not be arriving in the Windows 8.1 public preview in June, but would potentially be seen in the final iteration of the updated operating system.

Foley notes that despite continual rumours that Windows 8.1, code-named "Blue," will be a complete overhaul in the wake of consumer backlash over the Metro-based, touch-based design, the update will aim to build upon current features rather than replace them. One hopes that making the radically different UI of Windows 8 easier to use for consumers switching from earlier iterations of the OS will improve the lacklustre sales numbers.

Despite the increase in Windows 8 tablets available, the majority of users will be in a desktop environment. As such, features of the OS clearly based for touch purposes may be updated in 8.1 as not to alienate these non-mobile customers.

Windows 8.1 will be available as a public preview Microsoft's BUILD conference in June.

Image View: Original Article
 #26688  by chevy350
 14 May 2013, 05:29
Holy crap.......MS actually listened to people?? We'er all doomed now, was nice knowing ya'll lol Bout damn time, now I may actually use it for more than a week
 #26689  by Angel
 14 May 2013, 10:07
I've got used to not using a "Start" button. All my most used programs are pinned to the task bar and it's not hard to launch the start screen and find the app I need. However, it would still be nice to have the option to use the "Button" as I still click there some times :redy: