Where Customization Begins 

• Droid X Root and Custom ROM Guide/FAQ

#13551  by shadow257
 22 Feb 2011, 02:19
What is rooting?
When you buy a smartphone from your carrier you are using the phone as a user. This enables you to use functions on the phone with worrying about each user breaking the phone because they accidentally deleted or modded a file in the core system. This also allows your carrier to install apps that you may or may not want. Such as Amazon MP3, or an Hotspot app that only works if you pay more money.

Rooting your phone is the same as enabling the phones Admin account. With this admin account you can change not only how the phone operates, but the applications and the software on it. For instance, lets say that Android 2.2 was out and you wanted to install it on your device, but your carrier has not rolled it out in your area yet. With a rooted device you can download this update yourself and install it on your device anytime you want.

What is a ROM?
ROM or Read Only Memory, is your operating system plus any apps integrated with it. It is called a ROM because the device only needs to read the files, not modify them to make it work.

A little note:
I nor does Newage-OS condone hacking your device. If you choose to do so, you do so at your own risk. Doing this will also void your warranty on your device. There is a lot you can gain but there is also a lot that you can lose if something goes wrong. Make sure that you read as much as possible and ask as many questions as you need to before attempting to root your device. Make sure that you are comfortable with all the steps and you understand what to do during each step before hand. If you have any doubt or worry DO NOT ATTEMPT TO ROOT YOUR DEVICE ! Better to have a working device that's somewhat crappy than no device at all. If you feel comfortable, proceed ....

THIS GUIDE IS FOR INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES !!

Step 1 > Gain Root Access
The first thing that you need to do is gain root access to your device. There are several methods for doing this, but I found a one click option that works on all firmware releases up to 2.3.340 .

1. Download z4Root
Code: Select allhttp://www.mediafire.com/?s9b6qoba91282sq

2. Install z4Root
- Connect your phone to your PC/MAC and transfer the application "Z4Root" Onto your phones SD Card (remember were you put it i suggest the Root directory of your SD Card)
- Go to the android market and download "Astro File Manager Free Version" (any file explorer app will work)
- Navigate to were you dropped "Z4Root"
- select the application then select package installer
- Install the application
- Open the Application Z4Root and select Permanent Root (This can be done very easily)
- At the bottom of the screen it should start saying things such as running exploit to gain root access, etc.
- This process should be complete anywhere from 15 seconds to 3 minutes.
- When the process is finished your phone will automatically reboot.
- If the phone does not reboot within 3 minutes of clicking Permanent Root, Pull the battery out of the device, reboot, and run the app a second time.

Step 2 > Install Clockwork Mod Recovery
Once your device is rooted, in your app tray you will notice a new icon that says Superuser underneath it. If you have this icon then you are rooted and have admin control on the device. The next thing we need to do is add the awesome clockwork recovery. This recovery menu will allow you to backup, restore, and install new ROM's on your device. You can find this app by going into the Market and searching for Rom Manager. You should be able to find the Clockwork ROM Manager and install it. Once you open it after install, click the flash clockwork, from the top. Reboot, and you are done with this step.

Step 3 > Install failsafe
If you think that you might mess something up, its always good to have a fail safe. Search the Market for Bootstrapper. This is a paid app, but it will allow your phone to boot up if you try to mod something that corrupts the boot process. Once its installed, click the flash button and you are done. (You can also use this app to boot into Clockwork Recovery Menu which you have to have on the DroidX because you can't boot up to it from the Clockwork app.)

Step 4 > Find and Install your ROM
I am not going to list any ROM's in this thread due to TOS. But, if you do a google search you should be able to find some. They all have different instructions on installing them so make sure that you read them. Alternatively, you can use the ROM Manager app to find and install a new ROM on your device. As always read up a lot before moving your device from the stock carrier ROM that is already loaded.

Credit:
Original Posts: RoOoLeR [DroidX Forms]
Modded By: Shadow257
 #13569  by Neuropass
 22 Feb 2011, 17:27
Nice little guide There...
 #14626  by r1pt1de
 19 Mar 2011, 07:57
Thank you for this post. Been looking for a good walk through on rooting the X. Got mine about 2 months ago and just now rooted it thanks to this. The worst part is, I didnt even want to root for the ROMs. Just wanted the free tethering :P
 #14952  by shadow257
 23 Mar 2011, 16:23
r1pt1de wrote:Thank you for this post. Been looking for a good walk through on rooting the X. Got mine about 2 months ago and just now rooted it thanks to this. The worst part is, I didnt even want to root for the ROMs. Just wanted the free tethering :P

I am glad that I was able to help mate. It is definatly worth it for nothing else the free tethering. I can't believe that Verizon only allows you to have 2gb if you pay them more money on topic unlimited data plan. That's just rediculous to me, it did help out a lot when I moved into my new place to have free tethering but there is so much more you can do with it rooted that it makes no sense to not do it, lol.