Where Customization Begins 

• The Ragnarok

• Show us your Rig from top to bottom and feel free to post your benchmarks score!
Show us your Rig from top to bottom and feel free to post your benchmarks score!
 #17645  by alexandrepigeot
 30 Jun 2011, 10:04
Hey guys... Thought I'd showcase my stuff... it's not much to talk about though :P

THE RAGNAROK (i nicknamed it that way, and it's full custom so there's no brand per se)

Casing : Generic, no brander...

Cooling : I'd rather not mention it... Standard Intel CPU cooling, plus Standard PSU Cooling plus a 12V 120mm back panel fan and an 80 mm one at the side.

Motherboard:

Manufacturer: Asus
Model : P7P55D-E LX
Form factor: ATX Form Factor 12 inch x 8.6 inch ( 30.5 cm x 21.8 cm )
Chipset: Intel® P55 Express Chipset
Memory sockets: 4 x DIMM, Max. 16 GB, DDR3 2200(O.C.)
Processor socket: Intel® Socket 1156
Expansion Slots:
1 x PCIe 2.0 x16
4 x PCIe 2.0 x1 (2.5GT/s, gray slots)
2 x PCI
2 x USB 3.0 ports (Blue, at back panel)
12 x USB 2.0 ports (6 ports at mid-board, 6 ports at back panel)
6 xSATA 3.0 Gb/s ports
1 xUltraDMA 133/100/66 for up to 2 PATA devices
1 xExternal SATA 3Gb/s port
2 x SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports (Gray)

Processor:

Operating speed: 2.80 GHz (can be OCed up to 3.33... and 4GHz according to some people)
Cores 4
Threads 4
Name Intel i5-760
Lithography 45nm
Cache 8MB
Instruction Set 64bit

Memory:

2 x 2GB DDR3 RAM

Video graphics: (Dear lord, please please please allow me to change this in the coming month...)

XFX ATI Radeon HD4350
Bus Type: PCI-E 2.1
Performance: Standard
GPU Clock MHz: 600
Stream Processors: 80
Memory Interface Bus (bit): 64
Memory Type: DDR2
Memory Size (MB): 1024
Memory Clock (MHz): 800

Sound/Audio (Integrated)

VIA® VT1708S 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC
- Supports Jack-Detection, Multi-streaming, Front Panel Jack-Retasking
- Optical S/PDIF out ports at back I/O

HDD:

Size: 320 GB

DVD disc drive:

Some random Sony MultiDrive 24x speed
(The tray's opening is fast and brutal... still scares me everytime i insert a disc! lol)

WIreless Adapter:

D-Link DWA-525
Compatible with Windows 7 32bit and 64bit (Super Verified... DIE NETGEAR DIE)

There you go, this is my rig, my most precious Ragnarok... I got a smooth 22"LED viewsonic to display stuff :p
Last edited by alexandrepigeot on 12 Jul 2011, 08:20, edited 2 times in total.
 #17647  by Shaneee
 30 Jun 2011, 11:31
Looks like a decent build there mate.

My post as a template lol I just threw in a load of info lol
 #17650  by alexandrepigeot
 30 Jun 2011, 14:35
Lol, yeah, i figured... But I tried to "fill in the form" based on your info.

Thanks, yeah, I've put a lot of effort into making a cost-effective machine while trying to keep it as compatible as possible with next-gen technology. I'm pretty proud of it, in fact... except for the low grade video card and poor cooling (heat is a deadly thing for PCs on a tropical island)

One thing's for sure, I didn't regret buying the i5 quad core processor. It's probably the best price/performance little thing you can find at the moment. Just one warning to those that might do the same : DON'T get the dual core versions. They have integrated graphics and won't get you anywhere performance-wise. Plus they are more expensive than the quad core versions coupled with a decent GPU !!

Alex out

Goodnight Ragnarok... I love you baby xoxo
 #17892  by alexandrepigeot
 04 Jul 2011, 06:13
Okey dokes, little update. I've been running Windows XP 64 bits for a while now and I had to face the truth : Nothing is compatible with it. You have to hack iTunes to get it to run (apple didn't bother with a version for this OS) and most of the softwares seem lost in the environment.

SO, I had decided to swap to Windows 7 x64. I prepared for that in the last 2 weeks and I did so this week-end. I installed my W7 and YES, everything is running smooth and fast and my old softwares are thanking me. BUT!! My Netgear WG311V3 PCI wireless card is not functioning anymore.

A little research later (and almost 12 hours of drivers trial-and-error) I figure out that I can't have THIS wireless adapter and W7 unless my system has less than 2GB of memory installed. So I went for that and the dang thing is working again. AAAAARGGHH

I'm going to buy a DECENT brand later this month, but for now I'm forced to run with half my memory. FRUSTRATION.

Oh, and I'm posting this here because I'm not looking for a solution, I just wanted to update the info on my rig through my little BF.

Alex OUT

--DIE NETGEAR DIE--
 #18030  by alexandrepigeot
 12 Jul 2011, 08:23
Ok, I bought myself a D-Link DWA-525, I've never been happier about gear purchasing this year.

Again... Die NETGEAR DIIIEEEE!!!

I've also bought a 500GB HD for the Ubuntu Studio OS. Can't wait to load that up tonight.
Next step is the video card upgrade. Next month's gonna see this happen. Meanwhile, If anyone has a suggestion based on my build, let me know. I only like to run 1 full HD screen. More or less is wrong.

Thanks!!