Where Customization Begins 

• ASUS ROG based gaming rig

• Show us your Rig from top to bottom and feel free to post your benchmarks score!
Show us your Rig from top to bottom and feel free to post your benchmarks score!
 #20681  by ROG-Cerberus
 16 Dec 2011, 09:29
Hi guys
just wanted to present the ROG rig me end a friend are working on currently and see what you guys think of it :occ2:

Specs and Parts

Case: Thermaltake Level 10GT LCS Black
PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower 875W XT
Mainboard: ASUS ROG Maximus IV Extreme-Z
CPU: Intel Core i7 2700k
CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster V8
RAM: Corsair Vengeance CL8 4x4GB 1600
Graphics: ASUS ROG Matrix GTX580 Platinum :perfect: I just love that thing
Sound: Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty (with front panel)
Optical Drive: ASUS Bluray/DVD Combo Drive
Drives: OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD (System, hopefully Win7 ROG Rampage :perfect: ), WD VelociRaptor 600GB (Games), WD Caviar Black 1TB (Storage)

Unfortunately all my pics that i made with my crappy mobile suck, i will post better pics later.
As a little preview il post one of the terrible pics :redy: I will post better ones as soon as i get them
 #20687  by ROG-Cerberus
 16 Dec 2011, 11:15
We were thinking about Water cooling as well. The Corsair H80 or H90 seems preety good since its a closed circuit system and maintenance free. The bad side is that you have poor airflow around the RAMs and the Chipset. Specially the X58 Chipsets of my Rampage III GENE get pretty hot, so an air cooled CPU cooler comes in handy.
Another Friend of mine has the same setup with 2600k CPU and reaches 4,8Ghz 24/7 stable with good temps on air cooling.
We were thinking of 4Ghz 24/7 standard setting and 4,5Ghz Gaming setting.
 #20688  by ROG-Cerberus
 16 Dec 2011, 11:43
Sorry maybe a stupid question but: Since the GC and the CPU cooler are pretty heavy, is there any need to aditionally support the mainboard?
Now with only the GC installed it seems to have some tension on it, is that harmful for the board or the PCI-E Slot?
Also i thought about installing a second GC, maybe a low priced ASUS GTX 560 or so as Physics Card, i wonder if that makes sense or if it just overloads the mainboard and leads to poor airflow of the Primary GC.
 #20689  by Angel
 16 Dec 2011, 13:17
Sweet specs. I didn't know there was a 2700K! If you're worried about the weight of heatsinks then water cooling is the way to go.
 #20692  by Giin70
 16 Dec 2011, 14:09
The weight of a heavy GPU and CPU cooler is always a thing to consider, like BigB said though, if your worried about it that much, go with a cooler as you suggested. The H80 is about as painless as it gets and helps .

Also a 2700K is just a waste of money for the extra 100 mhz, I havent seen any improvement in Overclocking a 2700 , both clock out to be the same as far as i can tell.

nice set up, i used to be a Asus fan, but not thrilled with pricing on most of their stuff anymore
 #20693  by ROG-Cerberus
 16 Dec 2011, 15:20
Right the 2700k has just 100mhz more stock clock, but we got it for the same price as the 2600k. Since it has just been released lately we can at least hope for a better Batch. Although im still not convinced that the batch makes a big difference in stability and oc abilities. I wouldve gone for the 2600k but my friend insisted on the 2700k, and like i said we got it for the same price. Only problem is that it will be delivered on 21st dec, so were not able to finish the pc right now.

Here in switzerland the pc component prices just exploded lately, when we ordered the GTX 580 we paid 470.- Swiss Francs, now you just cant get one of these under 600. Thats why im stuck with a standard EMGTX 580 :lau1:
 #20694  by Giin70
 16 Dec 2011, 15:42
Understood, the Asus Mars II of the 580 is killer for a gaming pc, its dang near unbeatable. The world as of late has taken a huge hit in some key areas where manufacturing takes place for many computer parts, so the prices have skyrocketed,

Heck in July and early august i bought a batch of 50 Harddrives for 37 Us dollars each for the shop, i cant even come close now. Currently if i was to get same deal it would be around 82 US dollars for same batch.

Again nice set up, good work on it.
 #20696  by ROG-Cerberus
 16 Dec 2011, 17:45
Mars II is a dual GTX590 and limited to (i think) 1000 Pcs worldwide. So around here it costs about 1400.- But i think that one is just overkill. Judging from the size of that thing i bet it weighs a ton :lau1:
 #20697  by Angel
 16 Dec 2011, 20:49
Is it cheaper in Euros? You could nip across the border into France or where ever lol :lau1: . If the CPU was the same price then you got a good deal.