Where Customization Begins 

• Proper way to mod Shell32.dll & ExplorerFrame.dll and others

• Read that again. You didn't win anything, you just crashed it! Are you in trouble with your hardware, software or you just crashed your system? Then this is the section you are looking for.
Read that again. You didn't win anything, you just crashed it! Are you in trouble with your hardware, software or you just crashed your system? Then this is the section you are looking for.
 #26429  by 351837
 30 Apr 2013, 16:51
MayikMiday » 30 Apr 2013 14:16 wrote:On an x64 system, does one need to modify both 32bit and 64bit shell32.dlls?
351837, which version of 7 are you running? My shell32.dll also has an entry for 632 in the bitmap folder.

Look at this way. In 64 bit system 64 bit apps use files from system32 folder and 32 bit apps from sysWOW64 therefore if your program is 32bit and you want it to use modded files you need to modify files in sysWOW folder too.

I'm running ROG E2 but that shell32 is from W8. It was on my desktop already when i wrote that little tut for you ( was to lazy to copy shell32 from system lol). Concept is the more or less same for all dll files.
 #26622  by TheAslan
 11 May 2013, 23:24
I prefer Resource Hacker for .dll modifications, Photoshop for image editing (in case you want to modify extrated images from .dll files), and some Icon resizer software so you can easily resize icons which .dll files need, like imageres.dll, do not use Resource Editor and try to use drag & drop feature, file will become corrupted and therefore it will not work though you replace it and then your computer will not boot anymore, my suggestions is very simple, pay attention while modifying any .dll file if you want to boot your computer after that, it's always hazardous to modify .dll files.

And one last and most important thing, do not try to open and modify any .dll file in its original location, always copy/paste the .dll file you want to modify somewhere else, then open and modify it.

My suggestion:

1. Original.dll
2. Modified.dll
3. Backup.dll
4. System Restore point

PS: Original and Backup are the same thing but still for caution, you never know what you will mess up.