Where Customization Begins 

• Proper way to mod Shell32.dll & ExplorerFrame.dll and others

• Read that again. You didn't win anything, you just crashed it! Are you in trouble with your hardware, software or you just crashed your system? Then this is the section you are looking for.
Read that again. You didn't win anything, you just crashed it! Are you in trouble with your hardware, software or you just crashed your system? Then this is the section you are looking for.
 #26413  by MayikMiday
 30 Apr 2013, 01:27
Hi everyone, throwing myself at the mercy of the court ;)

I haven't had one Shell32.dll replacement or mod (with Resonator) go well.

Is there a thread on this site or others that explains what one must do to make a proper replacement? Are you guys/girls re-compiling them or something else entirely?

I have only tried from Win 7 Home Prem. x64 (SP1 and without Service Pack)

Thanks!

Jake
Last edited by MayikMiday on 30 Apr 2013, 05:01, edited 1 time in total.
 #26416  by MayikMiday
 30 Apr 2013, 05:01
Thanks Scott -

For the modifications, I edited the originals with gimp. That didn't work so I figure that gimp wasn't saving the bitmap as a windows bitmap. From there I decided to try a couple other users' shell32.dll to no success, most recently the longhorn glass theme viewtopic.php?f=20&t=3300
I followed the instructions in the readme and had replaced the DLL's in the SysWow64 directory as well. I need to hop over there and ask about why part 2 is needed.

And forgive me for the typo - I also am using Restorator (trial).

Have you been able to simply replace your shell32 with another with only the thought in mind of 32bit vs 64bit as well as SP1 and NonSP1 (does that matter?)
 #26417  by scott45333
 30 Apr 2013, 05:29
Another question, are you trying to replace these files on a live OS? Or is it a custom build you are working on? If it is your working (live) OS, you can replace the files with Seven File Replacer (Google) or rename the original files to.old e.g. shell32.dll.old
 #26418  by MayikMiday
 30 Apr 2013, 05:38
Yep, having no problems renaming and copying the modded files. But when I reboot with a different shell32.dll nothing works, I assume that there is no shell anymore more or moreso not a compatible one at least. Maybe windows updates have destroyed their functionality?
 #26419  by 351837
 30 Apr 2013, 08:49
Go to your system32 or sysWOW folder and take ownership of file you want to mod, copy it to desktop, open it up with Restorator, right click on resource you want to change and choose assign > assign to

Replace resource, click on save.

Rename and replace your file in system folder with modded one.
 #26421  by nice_guy75
 30 Apr 2013, 11:25
If you are trying to replace the files in live OS you would require replacer.bat or replacer.cmd I also had problem with "Seven File Replacer" I would upload the replacer.bat or replacer.cmd once I get back to home.
Important: You need to take the ownership before replacing the files in live OS
 #26422  by MayikMiday
 30 Apr 2013, 13:16
On an x64 system, does one need to modify both 32bit and 64bit shell32.dlls?

351837, which version of 7 are you running? My shell32.dll also has an entry for 632 in the bitmap folder.

nice_guy75 wrote:If you are trying to replace the files in live OS you would require replacer.bat or replacer.cmd I also had problem with "Seven File Replacer" I would upload the replacer.bat or replacer.cmd once I get back to home.
Important: You need to take the ownership before replacing the files in live OS

I have ownership and am able to rename and replace these files. Does your batch script do anything in addition to replacing the filea? Thanks!

Sent from my One X using Tapatalk 2
 #26425  by nice_guy75
 30 Apr 2013, 14:32
Nope, it would only replace the system files that is it. Tell me, have you checked the files if it still has custom bitmaps in the dll files?
Mind it you need to delete ".ReplacerTemp" folder after every attempt.

I guess you should upload your dll files and screenshot of your OS as well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.