Where Customization Begins 

• Why Does Chrome Have So Many Open Processes?

• Keep your self updated on current affairs. Tech, news, Politics, blah blah. You decide.
Keep your self updated on current affairs. Tech, news, Politics, blah blah. You decide.
 #25955  by Neuropass
 16 Mar 2013, 22:13
If you’ve ever taken a peek in Task Manager while running Google Chrome, you may have been surprised to see that the number of chrome.exe entries radically exceeded the number of actual Chrome windows you had open. What’s the deal with all those processes?

You can read the details here:

Google Chrome takes advantage of these properties and puts web apps and plug-ins in separate processes from the browser itself. This means that a rendering engine crash in one web app won’t affect the browser or other web apps. It means the OS can run web apps in parallel to increase their responsiveness, and it means the browser itself won’t lock up if a particular web app or plug-in stops responding. It also means we can run the rendering engine processes in a restrictive sandbox that helps limit the damage if an exploit does occur.

Basically, each tab has one process unless the tabs are from the same domain. The renderer has a process for itself. Each plug-in will have one and so will each extension that is active.

#25958  by chevy350
 17 Mar 2013, 16:01
always wondered that myself when I used Chrome a couple times, opened task manager an thought wtf?? 30 processes with massive ram used for one browser window......guess that's also why chrome does so well in browser benchmarks......thanks for the info :perfect:
 #26978  by TheAslan
 06 Jun 2013, 16:58
Poindexter » Today wrote:I just stick with Firefox, seems to get lots of updating, but it works great.

But Firefox has kinda weird update method which will break all extensions yet again, and it's very hard to get outdated extensions to work again, that's why I love Chrome and Chromium it'll not break extensions, although sometimes Chrome and Chromium update will break extension (some websites does not open or tab will crash when particular extension is enabled i.e. ABP).