Where Customization Begins 

• BigBs Budget Build (Aliteration is always cool)

• Win friends, influence people, have a beer and chat about whatever drifts across the transom of your mind. This is the forum for random nonsense.
Win friends, influence people, have a beer and chat about whatever drifts across the transom of your mind. This is the forum for random nonsense.
 #29309  by Angel
 04 Mar 2014, 23:05
This is the follow up thread to my "Looking for a new monitor" post here... viewtopic.php?f=33&t=8463

Here is a "Speccy" list of the hardware. Most is new stuff. My budget was £750 GBP and had to include a monitor.

CPU - Not had an Intel cpu since a core 2 duo. This is a lot faster than my last cpu which was a AMD A10-5700.
Intel Core i5 4670K @ 3.40GHz
Haswell 22nm Technology

RAM - Mushkin (Munchkin lol) Blackline. I must check those timings it's advertised as 9-9-9-24.
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 800MHz (11-11-11-28)

Motherboard - Best(?) mobo within my budget
MSI Z87-G43 GAMING

Graphics - Monitor is AOC 2769vm 27 Inch IPS Monitor. Haven't had a gfx card for ages as always used integrated. My old AMD A10-5700 could play BF4 at reduced settings but this GTX 760 lets me play at 1080p on ultra settings.
AOC 2769M (1920x1080@60Hz)
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 (MSI)

Storage - These drives are from my old rig. I'm still surprised at how fast the SSD is. Will be getting another HDD for backups.
1863GB Seagate ST2000DM001-1CH164 (SATA)
119GB OCZ-VERTEX4 (SSD)

Optical Drives - Don't really need this and may add it to my childrens PC I'm building from all the old bits.
TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-222BB

Audio - On board sound.
Realtek High Definition Audio (ALC1150)

The speakers attached are Edifier e10. Had these already and they are great and loud.

Mouse is a Roccat Lua. Not a gaming mouse but nice and comfortable with an "upto" 2000dpi resolution. This rolls nicely on Roccat Taito mouse mat.

Key board is just and old MS 600 thing. It does it's job.

Other stuff I may get :-

AIO water cooler for the 4670k.
USB DAC and speakers for better sound.
XBOX 360 game controller.
Remote control for when I'm watching movies or listening music from my bed. I can control the PC with my Android phone but remote would be easier.
 #29311  by Shaneee
 05 Mar 2014, 10:35
Nice choice of parts there ;) Is there a OS X Windows hybrid coming? lol
 #29312  by Angel
 05 Mar 2014, 10:50
I might do some pics when it's a bit more tidy. Everything is just thrown in to the case at the moment! Gotta build my childrens rig from my old parts first.

OS X is an option. I don't know about the ALC1150 codec. Hopefully there is a kext for that.

Hopefully prices for SSDs will drop lower so I can afford a bigger one. My 128GB OCZ Vertex 4 is full up with the OS and some games. 500GB would be nice. I can't go back to a spinner now they are way too slow.
 #29314  by Giin70
 07 Mar 2014, 13:49
I dont even use a SSD for the most part, i buy those 4TB WD nas red drives for desktops/servers...lol . im all about uptime and consistancy.

I do have some SSD, pricy ones too, but mainly only use those in my system76 bonobo
 #29315  by Angel
 09 Mar 2014, 14:24
Thought I was going to have to RMA something. I kept getting "Device or Drive is inaccesable" errors. Windows would not boot and I couldn't get the keyboard, mouse or dvd-rom to work either. Swapping sata cables helped until reboot and then it would happen again. Turns out it was a corrupt iso of gParted hadn't properly formatted the SDD and the boot files of Windows had then become corrupted also. SSD properly formatted and Windows 7 installed it's all working fine now.

COD: Ghosts runs in ultra with no problems although the game isn't very good. OSX runs fine with a native install to hard drive and there are kexts available for the ALC1150 codec.
 #29322  by chevy350
 16 Mar 2014, 00:19
Nice specs.....agree with ya on Ghosts lol....gonna get that NovaBench updated?? :lau1:

I don't have much room to talk, got new ram and new video card and still have old stuff in sig lol :ha:
 #29325  by Angel
 17 Mar 2014, 12:23
chevy350 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:19 am wrote:Nice specs.....agree with ya on Ghosts lol....gonna get that NovaBench updated?? :lau1:

I don't have much room to talk, got new ram and new video card and still have old stuff in sig lol :ha:

Build is not quite finished yet. I swapped out my OCZ Vertex 4 128GB SSD for a 1TB spinner I had laying about just to get all the games and programs installed. I got fed up with with playing BF4, saving the game, uninstalling it and then installing Ghosts and doing the same all over again when I wanted to play BF4. Also the spinner is achingly slow. So I have ordered a 250GB Samsung EVO (wish I could have afforded the 500GB but hey).

Benchmarks and pics of the build to follow.

Teaser pic...

I don't have a fancy digitial slr but a 5MP camera phone. I'm sure I can take better if I mess with the settings a bit.
 #29329  by chevy350
 25 Mar 2014, 05:45
Nice bump in the Novabench score :wutt: 1000 point jumps are always awesome to see, specially with that bench....still tryin to get my new stuff up to my old stuff's score but Win8.1 still tries to fix stuff when it bsod's like it knows what you did in BIOS lol